Books are amazing! They can introduce you to amazing characters and get lost in fantastic worlds. What I love even more is a series of books, where you dive deeper into each character and see them develop over time. And unlike movies, the sequels are more likely to be just as the original! While I do hold series such as The Parasol Protectorate and The Harry Potter Series as some of my favourite, they are actually only a few of the series that I have read in their entirety! While they are some series that I have started and just haven’t been able to finish to of interest, there are quite a few that just keep growing and I haven’t gotten caught up just yet!
The list could have gone on and on, but I’ll keep it to series that either have a good chance of me finishing, or just have the good stories!
Series I Should Get Around To Finishing!
- A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
- This is a funny one. I read the first two books, started the 3rd and found it boring. The 4th one didn’t sound any better, so I skipped it and started the 5th and then finished the rest of the 13 book series. While I feel that I got most of the nuances of the books, there was a few things that could be explained by the books I missed. I should really finish it up/re-read this series!
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
- I blame the box set for this one. As there are multiple ways that this series have been ordered, the box set that my sister and I had been given put The Magical Nephew as the first book. So that is where I started… and stopped. It was a terrible decision and I really wished I had started with The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Next attempt, read the books in original publication order.
- Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Token
- After borrowing a copy of the Fellowship of the Ring from my dad, I tried getting through this series after seeing the movie. For a person that is terrible of keeping track character names, Lord of the Rings wasn’t a good choice. I pretty much was confused the whole time! I really do want to give it another go, but this time talk it out with my partner, as he is much better with names then I am.
- The Women’s Murder Club by James Patterson
- James Patterson is by far one of my top authors of all time. This series I started while travelling through Asia, as it is the perfect style to read while on the go. I have gotten through the first 6 books and when I can afford it would love to get through books 7 through 15. Top of the list recommendation for anyone who loves mysteries!
- The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- One of the only paperback books I own in Australia, I love this trilogy of 6. But I’ve only read the first 4, which seems weird for a series that I love so much. I really should catch up with Arthur Dent soon. And even if “And Another Thing…” was written by Eoin Colfer, I did enjoy the Artimis Fowl series (another that just keeps growing and I need to finish!) so I trust the series is in good hands, though I should really read it before I judge.
What are series that you love? Which ones do you still have to finish?