You know it is going to be a hard workout when your heart is racing after only the first complete exercises! I’ve been doing a lot of at home workouts lately, as it’s been both rainy here in Perth and I am trying to teach my dog that it’s not playtime every time I get on the floor! (It’s a work in progress, if you didn’t see my Squating With My Dog Post.) What I love about an at home cardio routines is as soon as I get motivated to get moving, I can be starting in under 5 minutes! That means less time to get distracted, no worries about driving in traffic, and as soon as I am done, I can quickly shower and get onto other productive things in my day! (Because we all are busy with life!)
Putting together some of my favourite new and old cardio moves, I’ve designed this workout to be used in 3 different ways: 1. Do one round of all 10 exercise for a full body warm up or as part of a large set of exercise circuits, 2. Do the first 5 exercise once each for a quick warm up, or 3. Complete 3 rounds of all 10 exercise for a full body 30 minute heart pumping cardio routine! It’s a 3 in 1 package deal!
The moves get more challenging as the routine goes along, so stick with it and try your best! The biggest thing with cardio circuits is to keep moving the entire working period. Even if it’s slow, it still counts as movement! Each time you’ll do this routine, you’ll get better at it, so don’t worry to much if things are a little wonky the first time you do it.
Now let’s get moving!
10 Minute Heart Pumping Cardio Routine
45 sec work / 15 sec rest in-between each move. Do each exercise once before moving on!
1. High Knees
2. Butt Kicks
3. Front Kicks
4. Jumping Jacks
5. Fast Feet
7. Mountain Climbers
8. Shoot Through
9. Moving Plank
10. Plank Jacks
1. Standing tall, keep on the balls of your feet, bring your knees up to belly button height.
2. Literally, kick your butt! (But not to hard!)
3. Stand tall and kick your leg out straight in front of you. Either alternate side, or stick to one side for half the time then switch. Whatever way helps keep your balance!
4. Start standing tall, feet right underneath you, hands by your sides. Jump your feet out to just wider then shoulder width and bring your arms to right by your ears. Jump back to start. Feel free to add variety if you want! (aka heel touches!)
5. Get low! Get into a mini squat position, then run your feet as fast as you can in place! Should feel like you are drumming with your feet!
6. Everyone’s fav! Standing tall, jump straight up in the air, arms above you head. Land softly, then step or jump back into a high plank. Feel free to add a push up here. Then jump or walk feet back to your hands and repeat!
7. Starting in a high plank, making sure hands are under your shoulders. Alternate bringing your knees towards your elbows, while keeping your butt down!
8. A new fav of mine and it is tough! Start with your hands under your shoulders, knees under hips, toes curled. Lift your knees just off the ground , so you are now on your hands and toes but your butt hasn’t lifted. Take your right foot, cross it across your body until you start to turn and your right hip comes towards the ground. Your left hand will come off the ground as you are turning/pivoting on your left foot, so bring it up towards your left ear. Keep going until you leg is straight out left of you and your chest has opened up to the left side. (Kind of like if you were break dancing.) Come back to your start position, and repeat on the right side.
9. Starting on your elbows and toes, make sure you shoulders, hips and toes are all in a line. With control and without wiggling your hips to much, push yourself into a high plank on your hands. Pause, then return to a low plank.
10. Can be done in either a low or high plank, depending on how your wrist feel. Keeping your butt down, hop your feet wider then shoulder width, then back to starting position. Alternatively, step out each foot one at a time, then back to start for less bouncy-ness.
I hope you enjoy your 10 minute Heart Pumping Cardio Routine! Let me know which move was your favourite in the comments down below!
Happy Heart Pumping!
P.S. Ugg boots not recommended for the actual workout. My partner thought it would be funny to take photos while I was wearing them.